Posts Tagged ‘NAB’

Internal error, unable to open Reports database

I’ve gone around turning on Message Tracking and enabling weekly and monthly reports for all of my servers. We’re running out of disk space fast and we’re trying a multiple prong approach on tackling the problem.

We’re looking specifically at exactly who is sending large attachments.

After the happy Halloween and end of the month, I went around this morning to build a spreadsheet from the data in the reports.nsf on all the servers for the Top 25 Monthly Senders By Size. On a couple of servers, the report only contained “Internal error, unable to open Reports database” Read the rest of this entry »

Duplicate groups in Ambiguous Name Dialogue box.

I have been getting duplicate names in the Ambiguous Name dialogue box when addressing a message.

I’ve got my personal NAB, a local replica of our NAB, and a local dc.nsf on my machine. All of them are listed in the NAMES= line of my notes.ini.

I could not explain why the groups would appear this way. One group would have a mail domain and one group wouldn’t. One group would contain the members if you showed the member list, and one group looked like it was condensed (probably from the dc.nsf).

One of the guys on my team found this post.

We added our Domino domain name to the “Mail Domain” field in the group document and all was fixed, no problems when an Internet user send a message to the group, and no duplicate entries in the Ambiguous Name dialog box.

Upgrading the design of the NAB, replication and designer gotchas.

I’m writing this post to help some soul out there. There are lots of organizations that get themselves into multiple Domino point release upgrades and avoid upgrading the design of their NAB because it’s too much work, or they’ve forgotten the design changes they’ve made and don’t want to break anything, or too busy, or….

Our organization was in that state, and I’ve been working for the last 2 weeks to find the changes, customize a clean 6.5.6 template and roll it out. It’s actually been a pretty large chunk of work getting it right.

I found a big gotcha today when I tried to roll it out to my production environment.
Read the rest of this entry »

LDAP Schema woes

Today, I wanted to add a new field to our person document form in our directory for our internal VOIP telephone extensions. There are alot of people out there now using VOIP, but the problem is that our users don’t know what the extensions are for people in other sites/locations. If they would use the VOIP extension instead of dialing the long distance number, we could save alot of money.

I created a field called OnNet, refreshed the design of the NAB, populated the field with some actual data, and then went to test it out. Works great.

However, our corporate accessible directory is a web application on a Linux box that performs LDAP queries to Domino.

If I authenticated to LDAP, I could see all of the person document fields with a LDAP browser including OnNet and the data, but if I don’t authenticate, I can only see the domino fields (or LDAP attributes) that are specified in the * server configuration document. Read the rest of this entry »

Shocking R6.0 NAB design in our environment uncovered

It’s shocking. simply shocking.

I reported a few days ago that I finally got all of the Domino servers in our environment to 6.5.6 FP3 (plus a couple of Hotfixes – the DWA on Windows Vista, and Out of Office Hot Fix).

I have been noticing a few small things that have not been working as I thought they would. Very minor, but nonetheless weren’t working right.

So I decided to update the design of our customized NAB template. Let me prelude this with saying that I joined this rag tag Domino admin group 15 months ago. There were 2 guys running it, one with a developer background and one with no Lotus Notes/Domino experience at all. They’d both learned everything on the job, and they had both inherited it from a couple of guys who had obviously installed Domino only by the sheer merit of being able to read the instruction manual.

The design changes aren’t that bad actually, except for the fact that no one really knows why the 30 or so non-standard agents are for. Upon digging through the design, I found that the most of the design element are 6.0 design!!!! Read the rest of this entry »


I'm currently available
for Lotus Notes / Domino consulting engagements.


Connect with me: